Our voluntary parent/carer led committee is responsible for the overall management and smooth running of the pre-school as a charity. This can mean anything from organising the Christmas Fayre to arranging collection and payment of local authority grants for the children. The committee is the employer of all staff in the setting and so in conjunction with the pre-school Manager, has responsibility for recruiting, training and developing staff, paying their salaries and managing their contracts. These are just a few examples of the many things that the committee does and we are always looking for new members to help.
The committee also has responsibility for things like developing a business plan, managing the daily accounts and working with staff, ensuring the setting follows health and safety, risk assessment, insurance and first aid guidance.
Research shows clear benefits for children when parents become actively involved in their child’s learning and developing. Volunteering for the committee offers an ideal opportunity to be more involved. Parents also find benefits for themselves including meeting other parents, updating skills and learning new ones, as well as putting something back into the local community.
Much of the work of the committee is fun and a great excuse to get out in the evening –making new friends, coming up with ideas, offering advice, getting exciting plans off the ground, generally mucking in. But there are some regular jobs too:
- Chairs meetings and AGM
- Knows roles and obligations of the committee
- Reviews and carries out Managers Appraisal
- Is readily available to Staff Members
- Seeks out bursaries and funding opportunities
- Reviews the fees and grants
- Approves purchase of equipment and developments
- Approves and manages the annual budget
- Ensures the accounts are independently checked annually
- Submits annual return to the Charity commission
- Works closely with the Book-Keeper
- Organises agenda and minutes of meetings
- Organises CRB and Ofsted checks
- Sets meeting schedules
- Informs Ofsted of any changes
- Organises admin as required
For those parents and carers that have a busy homelife schedule please don’t be put off by the thought that there would be a large workload involved for you in becoming a member of our committee. It can be as much or as little as you can offer, even just an opinion or some advice or an extra pair of hands at a school fair can be of great help to us and it is a good opportunity to get to know other parents at the school.
If you would like any further information on being a committee member please do not hesitate to speak to either the Pre-School Manager or one of the staff members.